Why is QHSE Compliance Important?
QHSE regulations are applicable to all sectors and business sizes from a small general trading company to a multi-national construction company.
To be included on the Approved Vendor List:
If you are a business owner and you want to participate in the KRG’s oil and gas tenders, your business must register in the Ministry of Natural Resources’ (MNR) Approved Vendor List (AVL). One of the most important and most time-consuming requirements for the registration in the MNR AVL is to demonstrate having implemented an approved Quality, Health, Safety, and Environmental (QHSE) management system.
To earn the benefits and savings of compliance:
Compliance with an internationally recognized Quality, Health, Safety, and Environmental management system provides significant returns to companies including safer operations, lower accident rates, healthier employees, and more efficient operations. Investment in a properly implemented QHSE system yields substantial returns over the life of the company.
What is the Scope of QHSE Compliance?
Before being included on the MNR AVL, companies must provide internationally recognized certification of compliance with ISO 9001:2015, ISO 45001:2018 and ISO 14001:2015.
Companies must demonstrate operational capability and consistent compliance with policies, procedures, and recording system requirements according to international standards to independent auditors – who must be, according to ISO rules, completely independent of the company being audited and of any consultants advising the company on ISO compliance.
The companies must be able to demonstrate to the auditor’s satisfaction that their QHSE management system is fully implemented in their day to day operations.
The QHSE management system shall demonstrate the following requirements:
- Document control system is implemented,
- Emergency equipment and response procedures are working properly and updated,
- Employees are trained and have awareness of the QHSE management system,
- The company has an approved incidents management system and that incidents are being recorded,
- The waste management procedure is in the place and implemented,
- Hazards and risks are assessed as needed are properly controlled,
- The company has a QHSE manual,
- Top management is engaged with the QHSE management system,
- An appropriate personal protective equipment policy is implemented,
- Employee training records are current and updated,
- A safety driving policy is communicated to employees and vehicles are regularly inspected,
- The company has medical management policy,
- Safety procedures and meeting are consistently followed,
- The organization has drugs and alcohol policy and the policy is communicated to the employees.
How to Become Compliant and Earn Certification?
Step 1: Identify an experienced employee or a private consulting company who can prepare the policies and procedures according to company’s actual operations in compliance with international standards.
Step 2: Train staff on the policies and procedures and ensure they are working and are followed regularly.
Step 3: Engage a properly credentialed, internationally recognized auditor to certify ISO compliance with the relevant standards.
Step 4: Create an account on the MNR portal page and upload the required documentation and certificates.
If your company would benefit from registration on the MNR AVL or from the improved operational efficiency and reduced operating costs that accrue to companies by implementing globally accepted best practices, we can help your organization efficiently get through steps to certification and final approval from Ministry of Natural Resources.